Tuesday, April 1, 2008

From the logbook...First Flight!

Well...kind of. Yesterday afternoon I was able to go on an "observation" flight. Within the MAF world, whether rookie pilot or veteran, when starting on a new flight program, there is always a time of observation. This is so you can see the communication procedures, the routes, the airstrips, etc, etc. I assume that we will make a few more of these with me before they start letting me take control of the aircraft.

In a very untypical move yesterday, I left my camera at home, so I didn't get any pictures of my flight. Suffice it to say that it is a lot different from the lush green jungles of Ecuador. At the moment, March-April are the hottest and driest months here in Oaxaca. Therefore, we flew over a lot of arid farmland, accompanied by ponderosa pine covered mountains. There is a lot more turbulence here due to thermal heating and wind as well.

In the morning, I ran errands trying to get our visa process started. Sounds a lot simpler than it was in Ecuador, but only time will tell. We still have numerous paperwork issues to work on for which we would still appreciate your prayers.

No comments: