Friday, June 13, 2008

From the Logbook...McCoys and Hatfields

Some of you may remember the incredible story of the McCoys and Hatfields. Read the link to find out more. I bring it up to say that this is still a very common occurance here in Southern Mexico. People in the southern Sierra are known for their fueding lifestyles. I was able to see this first hand yesterday during one of my flights. I flew to San Mateo with three of my coworkers to install an HF radio so that the community could communicate better with us in Oaxaca. After landing we learned that there was more to do than just hang an antenna and plug in a radio.

The town nurse came and found us and said there was a 12 year old boy that needed to be taken to a hospital in Oaxaca after being severely beaten during school. Supposedly some rivals from another pueblo came into the school and performed their "duty" for their family. They beat the poor boy up bad, so much so that (pardon my frankness) his scrotum burst and his testicles came out. He was in bad shape, and I pray that he is able to recover quickly. Sorry if my bluntness in what happened to the boy offends or startles you. Just like in the jungles of Ecuador, life is very raw here, and sometimes there is no way to put a sugar coating on it. I left with the patient while the rest of my coworkers stayed and installed the radio. I returned later to pick them up.

Join us in prayer for these isolated communities of Mexico. Due to their remoteness, the arm of the law cannot really reach these communities, therefore feuds, fights, and scuffles are common and rarely punished. These cycles continue from before the time of Cortez's arrival into Mexico. ONLY the power of Jesus can break these cycles and set the people free!

No comments: