Friday, June 20, 2008

From the Logbook...All Ready to Go!

Finally after a lot of troubleshooting and repairing we have one of our two airplanes ready to fly. It took us a while to track down a sneeky oil leak, but we finally succeded in finding and reparing it this afternoon. Things don't happen fast here in Mexico, and it is even slower when you don't have simple parts like washers and gaskets. You have to be creative sometimes. We had to make our gasket today, which thankfully worked. Late this afternoon I flew "HYK" back to Oaxaca from our maintenance base in Mitla.

When we first arrived at the hangar this morning to get things going, I saw a very peculiar sight. First, a mother donkey (burro) walked by with a long rope attached to her neck. Not far behind, was her cute little colt. After I pursued them a little bit, I was able to snag the rope on the mother and pet her. After a while the colt thought that I must have been ok and allowed me to come close and pet it as well. I have always thought that baby "farm animals" are always so cute, and this little burrito was no exception. When I walked back to the hangar to get airplanes fixed, the colt began to follow me until it realized that it might be a little safer with mommy. It was sure funny to just see a "stray" burro and her colt walk by the hangar this morning. Things are very rural and relaxed in the small town of Mitla.

No comments: